LifeWorks NW is a private, non-profit organization providing prevention, mental health, substance use treatment, and related social services to youths, adults, and older adults in over fifteen locations throughout Multnomah, Washington, and Clackamas counties. LifeWorks NW promotes a healthy community by providing quality and culturally responsive mental health and addiction services across the lifespan.
Our core values-Recovery and Relationships, Resilience, and Results-inform the work we do. The four pillars of the strategic vision include Compassionate, Impactful Care, Holistic Health, Passionate Team, and Thriving Organization. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are critical to successfully achieving the mission. We know that "life works" when people get the help they need and are dedicated to changing lives.
This program serves adult male clients in a residential setting who are experiencing severe and persistent mental illness and behavioral problems. This position provides coverage for two five-bed residential treatment homes for clients transitioning back into the community.
The Mental Health Associate provides services to adult male clients in a residential setting who are experiencing severe and persistent mental illness and behavioral problems by providing skills training, case management, and other services as outlined in a treatment plan.
As a behavioral health organization, LifeWorks NW employees are required to have had their COVID 19 vaccination (or have an approved medical/religious exemption) per State of Oregon rules. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required upon hire.
Location: NE Portland
Days/Hours: This is a part-time position working 16 hours per week. Specific schedule: Sat and Sun 11:00 pm to 7:00 am.
Pay/Benefits: $19.95 to $21.70 per hour. Additional $1.50 per hour shift differential working graveyard shift hours. Pro-rated benefits
$1000 Hiring Bonus
Essential Responsibilities:(Must be able to be performed with or without reasonable accommodation.)
- Meets standards for documentation and accuracy of work, client care, quality/customer service, attendance/punctuality and teamwork as defined in the Performance Evaluation.
- Continually increases level of cultural sensitivity, awareness, and competency.
- Actively participates in a minimum of four hours of training related to cultural effectiveness in working with diverse populations.
- Administers oral medications, following physician's prescriptions and hospital procedures
- Provides skills training, case management, and other services as outlined on a treatment plan.
- Coordinates services with other staff and external organizations such as government agencies, social services providers, and healthcare providers.
- Assesses client's needs, limitations, and potential, using observation, review of hospital records, and consultation with parents and/or hospital personnel.
- Observes and interviews clients and confers with other professionals to evaluate the clients' performance, behavior, social development, and physical health.
- Establishes and enforces rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among clients, employing techniques such as behavior modification and positive reinforcement.
- Monitors clients in order to detect unusual behavior and reports observations to professional staff.
- Encourages clients to express their feelings and discuss what is happening in their lives, and help them to develop insight into themselves and their relationships.
- Counsels clients individually and in groups on concerns, such as unsatisfactory relationships, divorce and separation, child rearing, home management, financial difficulties and overcoming dependencies, mental or physical illness, and to help them understand and overcome personal, social, or behavioral problems.
- Guides clients in the development of skills and strategies for dealing with their problems.
- Organizes, supervises, and encourages client participation in social, educational, and recreational activities.
- Provides, finds, or arranges for job and/or school training.
- Provides crisis intervention to clients experiencing difficulties.
- Participates in regular individual and team meetings with supervisor provide written and verbal reports to supervisor regarding cases.
- Attends informational and clinical meetings which may include all-agency meetings, team meetings, consultation meetings with psychiatrist, staffings, intra-agency trainings, etc.
- Prepares meals and snacks for and/or with residents
- Serves as back-up for other staff when needed.
- Checks e-mail/voice mail daily/throughout the day when working responding to contacts within
- 48 hours for routine matter (urgent matters may require a more immediate response)
- May be required to transport clients in a LifeWorks vehicle.
- May administer first aid only if certified, according to prescribed procedures
Qualifications:(Equivalent education and/or experience may be substituted for qualifications. Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each task proficiently.)
- This position requires a valid and active QMHA credential certification through MHACBO.
- A bachelor's degree in psychology, social work, counseling or a related behavioral sciences field OR a minimum of three years experience working with individuals with severe and persistent mental illness.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively; understand mental health assessment, treatment and service terminology and individual, group, family and other counseling techniques; program policies and procedures for services and supports identified in an Individual Services and Supports Plan.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills and ability to provide culturally-competent treatment services to diverse client populations and maintain a cooperative working relationship with others in a culturally diverse environment.
- Demonstrated ability to provide psychosocial skills training, implement elements of a treatment plan, and provide case management services in compliance with confidentiality requirements.
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook and Word. Ability to master proprietary software including electronic health record system required.
- May requires a valid driver's license and verification of safe driving record from DMV.
- Ability to perform essential functions of job without creating a direct threat to the safety of self or others.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Drug Free/Tobacco Free Site 01/09