This is an on-call Master's level position working for the Adult Outpatient program out of LifeWorks NW's Rockwood (SE Portland) location. This program provides counseling services tailored to a wide range of needs through individual and group therapy.
The Mental Health Therapist position assesses and diagnoses adults experiencing mental health issues and behavioral problems. Position provides appropriate treatment and/or consultation with care providers about treatment options.
This particular position will initially process intakes and assist other Therapists on the the team with large case loads.
This position is currently providing telehealth services through the COVID-19 pandemic.
Days/Hours: This is an on call position. Days/hours vary.
Pay: $21.94 to $23.86 per hour.
- Collect information about individuals or clients, using interviews, case histories, observational techniques, and other assessment methods. Observe and evaluate client's performance, behavior, social development, and physical health.
- Responsible for client evaluation including initial intake interview, formulating diagnosis, identifying appropriate treatment services. Obtain necessary releases, notify client, significant other(s), care givers and care providers of diagnosis and initial recommendations and complete written narrative of evaluation.
- Analyze data such as interview notes, and reference manuals to identify symptoms and to diagnose the nature of clients' problems.
- Identify psychological, emotional, or behavioral issues and diagnose disorders, using information obtained from interviews, tests, records, and reference materials. Address legal issues as needed.
- Provide referral services to clients and their families, e.g., institutional living, health, mental health services, employment services, etc. Maintain awareness of community referral resources.
- Develops therapeutic treatment plans based on clients' interests, abilities, strengths and needs. Treatment plans will be evidence based using clinical experience and knowledge, and will have measurable goals and objectives based on the diagnosis and will specify type, frequency, intensity, timeframes of outcomes and duration of therapy. Treatment plans will client driven and follow-ups will be completed on time, assessing the quantity and quality of services provided.
- May confer with clients, significant others and treatment team to develop plans for post treatment activities.
- Counsel individuals, groups, or families to help them understand problems, define goals, and develop realistic action plans. Guide clients in the development of skills and strategies for dealing with their problems.
- May be responsible for service coordination. Coordinate/collaborate with physicians, staff, families, caregivers, etc. Maintain chart notes related to external contracts, obtaining pertinent records from other treatment and tracking client's involvement, follow-through and progress in varied treatment activities. Document all services and contacts provides related t treatment.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of counseling or treatments and the accuracy and completeness of diagnoses, modifying plans and diagnoses as necessary.
- Document and maintain client records in electronic healthcare system within 24 hours of meeting with client to ensure compliance with agency and contract guidelines and confidentiality. May conduct Resident Reviews and more detailed mental health evaluations for residents of long-term facilities.
- May provide training to staff, caregivers, and family regarding issues of mental health, addiction and behavior management as it relates to clients.
- Provide crisis intervention. May serve as Clinician of the Day.
- Continually increase level of cultural sensitivity, awareness and competency.
- May need to travel between sites or in the community.
- Meets performance standards for productivity, documentation (including progress notes, assessments, treatment plans and authorization requests) proficiency in clinical model and evidence based practices, quality of care (including engagement and retention) and teamwork.
- Master's degree in Mental Health Counseling, Social Work or related behavioral health field required.
- This position requires a QMHP credential either through the Mental Health & Addiction Certification Board of Oregon (MHACBO) or by obtaining and maintaining active internship or licensed with an eligible state licensing board. All prospective candidates must either have a valid MHACBO registration number or licensing intern number upon hire.
- More than 1 year experience in broad range of clinical interventions and mental health assessment specific to the client population.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct an assessment including identifying precipitating events, gathering histories of mental and physical health, alcohol and other drug use, past mental health services, and criminal justice contacts, assessing family, social and work relationships and conducting a mental status examination, complete a five-axis DSM diagnosis; write and supervise the implementation of an Individual Services and Support Plan and provide individual, family, and/or group therapy within the scope of their training.
- Demonstrated knowledge of treatment methods for individual, family and group therapy to address chemical dependency and/or mental health problems
- Demonstrated ability to maintain case management in accordance with federal, state and/or funding source requirements as well as LifeWorks NW policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills and ability to provide culturally-competent treatment services to diverse client populations.
- Good computer skills including a functional knowledge of Microsoft Outlook and Word. Ability to master proprietary software including electronic health record system.
LifeWorks NW believes that diversity strengthens our workforce and empowers our community. LifeWorks NW is an EEO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other status in accordance with law. Drug Free/Tobacco Free Site 01/09. www.lifeworksnw.org